Thursday, May 17, 2012

Antigone #3

I am caught on both sides of the "yes v. no" argument.  Both Antigone and Creon have very valid points that make a lot of sense.  Antigone seems to think that saying no gives a person power because through doing so they are asserting their own desires, which I believe to be true.  I also agree with Creon when he says that saying yes is a lot harder than saying no because, to say yes, a person has to take into consideration what other people want in addition to their own desires.  Sometime, the popular opinion has to win out and a leader like Creon has to take a step back to placate and rule his people properly.  Creon is a good king, I think, he's just trying to set an example for his people.  The whole thirst for power thing is another issue, but as far as saying yes I think that Creon is just as right as Antigone.  The two characters' different views create a lot of tension between the ideas of being selfish and thinking of others.  At times, it is appropriate to get what you want if you think is right, but at the same time it's bad to be selfish? Gosh, I don't know.  I think I'm having trouble forming an opinion because both Creon and Antigone seem right to me.  This is one of those tragedy elements we were talking about.  If I could I would hashtag "literaryconnections", but I don't think that would look to great on an english assignment. #academicallyprofessional

No comments:

Post a Comment