Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blood Wedding #3

I don't know if the whole poetic, sing-songy aspects of the wedding in act II are meant to break the 4th wall that was introduced by realism.  Maybe that really was part of a wedding in Spanish culture.  Even so, for me as a reader, the poetry/songs/whatever it was that preceded the wedding brought about a rather surreal effect.  People normally don't break out into song or stanzas in everyday life (at least I sincerely hope not), and I think Lorca is creating a rather dream-like atmosphere by making people do so.  Perhaps Lorca is trying to illustrate the cloud of hysteria that can surround relationships/weddings between young people.  I know that today's youth is very easily infatuated with people of their fancies, and that "love" can oftentimes fog up real desires or better judgements.  This would be putting the people that are in "love" in a dream-like state that could be associated with Lorca's surrealism.

No comments:

Post a Comment